Thursday, 2 January 2014

#Challenge2013 - festive alternatives this December

December is renound as the month we over-indulge, our waistline gets out of control and our liver can start to ache.

For me however, that happened in November, as the Christmas party season started early, so eating out in December was about trying to stay on track and avoiding too many gin-fuelled lunches in the guise of 'networking'. You will notice a strong Surrey bias to the restaurants this month and trust me, each is worth the trip out to zone 6... and beyond!

Maru, Esher
This is a fantastic Japanese restaurant which sits on Esher high street but is some what hidden. My first and certainly not last visit to it came mid-December with a colleague who swore blind to me it was some of the best Sushi I would find. Having eaten Sushi in Japan, I was not disappointed.



I opted for this box which was one of the set meals. A fantastic selection of tuna, salmon and prawn. Not anything special on the face of it, but there was something in the preparation which made the fish juicy, the rice a perfectly sticky consistency and the whole experience divine. This was paired with perfect, light jasmine tea. We left feeling good about ourselves and very satisfied.



Newley opened in its current incarnation, Langley is located on the Ewell Road (where l'esperence used to be). I have eaten at this location a few times over the years but I must say, Langleys is my favourite of the set ups.

For this festive lunch I opted for Pork Belly- it has stiff competiton from the Duck which my colleagues went for but it was worth the punt. The meat simply melted in the mouth and it was served with expertly prepared mash and vegetables. Sadly I was not able to photograph it for you, but trust me, it is worth a trip to Surbiton to taste it. 

They offer a range of lunchtime deals and excellent service in gorgeous settings. I would highly recommend a visit here.

The Bear, Esher
Clearly on a health kick when I ordered my Christmas Lunch I opted for a simple parsnip soup and a nutroast with vegetables for lunch.  Divine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment