Thursday, 5 September 2013

Mauritian-Style Chicken Thighs for an alternative Sunday Supper

Something rather shocking happened to me the other week. I was in the meat aisle in Waitrose and... they had run out of whole chickens.  I know, right?!

In reality, this should have been a sign that my plans to pinch a recipe from the August edition of Waitrose Magazine would not go according to plan.  I was visiting my parents and had volunteered to cook Sunday Lunch.  As I do not cook for my family very often, this (in my head at least) added an additional level of pressure as, I like to be good at things. Ok, I like to be the best.  And I view each time I cook as an opportunity to remind people that this is something I am good at (I am working on being the best).


What was fantastic about how this recipe turned out is that it was an easy to cook, delicious, healthy dinner. My minor amendments (caused by not checking my parents spice cupboards properly before leaving for the supermarket) meant it was different to the intended product but still very delicious.  These chicken thighs also went beautifully with my roasted vegetable recipe (which I added sweet potato to in order to please my audience).


Ingredients
12 Chicken Thighs
100ml Apple Juice
1 tbsp Olive Oil
4 cloves of garlic
3 tsp Paprika
2 tsp Chilli Powder
1 tbsp dark muscovado sugar

Method
Crush the garlic and mix it with the apple juice, olive oil, garlic, paprika, chilli powder and muscovado sugar.  Stir this until the sugar is fully dissolved.

Place the chicken thighs in an oven-proof tray and cover them in the marinade.  Use your hands to turn the thighs a couple of times to make sure they are fully covered.

Leave for at least an hour with the skin facing down.

Cook for 15 minutes at 200oC then remove from the oven and turn each thigh over so the skin is facing upwards.  Cook for an additional 20 minutes until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment