Sunday, 7 July 2013

Granola to go

I am a HUGE fan of starting the day with a hearty bowl of porridge.  It has been one of the keys to losing weight over the last few years and the combinations you can have mean that this delicious and nutritious breakfast never gets dull.  However, with the current mini heat wave I was looking for something lighter (and colder) to
kickstart my day with and almost by accident, I discovered homemade Granola.  The recipe below gave me about 6 servings of Granola with plain (low-fat) yoghurt.  It is a tad high in sugar (mainly due to the fruit) but as it is made of natural ingredients, I am somewhat less bothered than I would be otherwise!

Ingredients:
500g Porridge Oats (not rolled)
50g Dried Cranberries
50g Pumpkin Seeds
50g Dried Blueberries
50g Raisins
50g Dried Coconut
10g butter
2 tbsp Honey

Method:
Mix the dried ingredients together, melt the butter and honey and coat ingredients with the mixture.  Bake at 200oC for 20mins until crunchy.  Serve once cool

No comments:

Post a Comment