Friday, 21 June 2013

Something for the weekend: Beer to Buscombe

I am an honorary West Country lass at heart. Having spent some of my early twenties moving around the western counties I now relish nothing more than a weekend in the countryside. Especially if it involves a somewhat physically challenging walk and a new food discovery in the process.

Beer to Buscombe ticks all these boxes and you have some of the most gorgeous coastline I have ever seen. From someone who grew up on the Hampshire/ Sussex coast that is saying something.


Beer to Buscombe is about 2.5 miles of hills, fields, beaches, steps, cliffs and magnificent scenery. I was surprised at how much this walk tested me physically- trust me, after some of the hills I will not need my evening squats.

We parked in Beer town centre and walked down to the coastal path via the 'Wet Fish Shop'; a tiny shack carrying some of the most flavoursome prawns I have ever tasted which proved to be a very welcome accompaniment to the walk.

When you arrive at Buscombe beach you come to a pub which you will be tempted to go in. Don't. Walk an extra half a mile to the town where you will find 'The Masons Arms Inn' a rather delicious (and fairly healthy) pub lunch which looks somewhat like this.



'Magnificent' was the only word I had for these scallops. You won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment