Sunday, 21 April 2013

Perfect Porridge

Personally, I can think of no better way to start my day than with a hearty bowl of porridge.  I have long been a fan of this as a breakfast choice, but the incarnation which I have eaten it in has changed.  From 'Oats so simple' for which I now hang my head in shame, to scotch oats with water and fruit compote, I really have tried it all.

Last week however, I struck gold.  After a pre-work run I went to chow down on some breakfast.  Aware I still had a 4.5 mile bike ride between me and the office I needed to ensure that I was consuming a meal which was as high in protein as possible and had natural sweeteners so as not to undo all my good work that morning.  I stumbled across this, and it has been a keeper ever since.  The Almond Milk contains more protein than cows milk, whilst still being low in calories (and tastes better than skimmed milk), Porridge is a slow energy release food and blueberries are sweet, in season and one of your five-a-day!

Starbucks and Pret may claim they make Perfect Porridge but they have a job rivaling this...

Ingredients:
50g Essential Waitrose Porridge Oats with added wheatbran
200ml Almond Breeze unsweetened Almond Milk
40g Blueberries
1 tsp Cinnamon

Method
Pour porridge and almond milk into a bowl and microwave on high for approximately four minutes.

Stir the porridge, add any water needed to make smoother then add blueberries and cinnamon.

Calories per portion: 230kCal

No comments:

Post a Comment